Saturday, December 29, 2012

Sheltered BYU Student

I've been working on my present for Mariah, my roommate/cousin. I'm so excited for it to be finished and to give it to her! I won't say what it is, just in case she happens to read my blog before I give it to her. That would be terrible to spoil the surprise!

I also went to hang out with some friends, and realized just how sheltered I am. It's so different coming back to the "real world," where the majority of the population is not Mormon. Going to school at Brigham Young University, you get used to that kind of society.. hearing someone swear is like whaa?? Seeing someone smoke, I always have to pause and remember that not everyone is Mormon, and even we aren't always what we should be.

But I'm completely fine with it! I absolutely love the atmosphere at the University, and wouldn't have wanted to choose any other way. The fact that I don't have to worry about any of the drama involved with drinking, sex, drugs, etc. is extremely comforting. I always hear about all the things that happen in other colleges and it seems so far away, unrelatable. And yes, I am aware that I will have to be rudely awakened one of these days, but I'm fine with the safety that I feel while it lasts.

Just another reason to serve a mission. So I can tell others about the wonderful gospel that lets you feel safe in your home, on the street, and with the people around you.

I'm happy where I am. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment