Monday, December 31, 2012

Best Marvel Heroes and Villains


This post is going to put me in the major nerd category, but I don't care!

So this past half-year, I've been getting more and more interested in Marvel, and any movie or television show based off of their comics. I borrowed a book from a friend, the Marvel Encyclopedia, and read all of it. I know right? Pretty lame. But I was and am very interested! I don't have the time it would take to read all the comics, so this was a great way to learn characters and their stories.

On our way to Utah today, I finished reading it and decided I wanted to figure out who had the most power, because each hero/villain has a little chart in the book that rates their intelligence, strength, speed, durability, energy protection, and fighting skills. The characters are rated in each of these categories from one to seven.

That may have been the best part of the book to me, being able to compare the characters via actual powers, rather than their story or coolness.

After much studying of this Encyclopedia, I can say who the top three heroes are and the top three villains. How I decided to determine this was by first adding up the points from there abilities and whoever had the most was top dog. If there were ties, then I took the one with the strongest powers, usually a seven. Of course, this is only based on one book that doesn't have every single character, but I still consider it semi-valid! And it's not according to awesomeness, just their power and abilities.

Most Powerful Heroes

1. Silver Surfer

3. Iron Man
2. Thor
  1. Silver Surfer is a learned hero with warp speed, incalculable strength, unlimited command of all energy, superhuman durability, and average fighting ability
  2. Thor is an experienced fighter with incalculable strength, warp speed, superhuman durability, the ability to discharge multiple forms of energy, and normal intelligence
  3. Iron Man as a super-genius with superhuman strength (up to 100 tons), superhuman durability, supersonic speed, the ability to discharge multiple forms of energy, and some training in fighting
I'm completely satisfied with this list, because I would consider these three some of the best even before I knew all the technical stuff. Though I had no clue that the Silver Surfer was so high!

One thing I was a little disappointed about was that my favorite people of all Marvel stories are the mutants, but none of them were super powerful. But that doesn't change my level of admiration for them!

Other people worth noting: Hulk was fourth, while Captain America was wayy down as number 14-- after the Thing, Wolverine, and even the She-Hulk. Crazy right? You'd expect him to be cooler, but don't worry, he is still WAY above the superhero average.

 Most Powerful Villains

  1. Thanos as a virtual
    1. Thanos
    ly indestructible super-genius with incalculable strength, warp speed, ability to discharge multiple energy forms,  and experience in fighting
  2. Galactus as a virtually indestructible being who is omniscient with incalculable strength, warp speed, unlimited command of all energy, but poor fighting skills
  3. 2. Galactus
  4. Doctor Doom is a super-genius with superhuman durability, supersonic speed, the ability to discharge multiple energy forms, superhuman strength (up to 25 tons), and experience in fighting
The thing about villains is that often, they make the hero what he is, and sometimes they may even make the story. (An example would be Batman, a DC superhero, who's villains such as the Joker and Bane may be what makes the Batman stories so cool).

3. Doctor Doom
I noticed that in cases such as Spiderman and the X-men, there were a lot more super-powerful villains, while the heroes themselves were less so. I thought this was pretty interesting since you'd think that would mean the villain would kick the heroes butt. That's not the case though! Our heroes are tough and, most importantly, fighting for what is right.

Another favorite of mine is Magneto, number seven on the list, is obviously the most powerful mutant, and personally I think he is pretty cool, especially in the movies. And the fact that he could take down the X-men easily, but allows them to keep existing gives him a little credence in my mind.

I would be very interested to know who you think the best heroes and villains are! Based on powers or just in general, give me your reasons!

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes when I'm around other people in a group, I end up seeing the group energy like a superhero team. Especially when there's four people working together. Each person's powers and balancing attributes are noticeable even in the dynamic of a trio or duo. Every person brings unique powers to the task, and the way they work together is how things get done, and memories are made. Knowing your own stat card, your own powers and skills and weaknesses and triggers can unlock your personal advancement, and create an effective hero team.

    from Justin (brother)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's an awesome outlook! I'm over here fawning over all these fiction superheroes, when you're seeing those heroes in real life! I like it.

    ReplyDelete