Friday, December 21, 2012

End of the World, But I've Got Gingerbread

After getting on Facebook, I was reminded about fifty times that tomorrow (today) may possibly be the end of the world and I should say something interesting or revealing before we are all gone. But honestly, today was just a GOOD day, without any effort. If the world did end, I would be completely satisfied with the last day I had on earth.

But seeing as how the whole Mayan calendar predicting the end is a load of complete nonsense, I'll go ahead and assume that I'll be around for December 22. 
Besides, I need tomorrow, so I can finish my gingerbread house! 

I started one today... and it's not a mangy little graham cracker one. Oh no, this is going to be a full on gingerbread house, like I've only built once before. My mom was cool enough to save some pages from a very, very old magazine that had designs for gingerbread houses-- and pretty cool ones too. Take a look at the date. --->

But man, I never even realized how hard it is to make a gingerbread house! There's so many steps before you even get to the baking part, that I just want to throw the whole thing out and just get some graham crackers! I'm about halfway done with the building process, so hopefully I will be able to show the finished product by Saturday! 

Other highlights of the day: my little nephew Kru came over, I got some bonding time with my mom, and I had a crazy thought! 

Kru
What an adventure that kid brings when he is around! Kru is a 3yr-old little boy who loves what most little boys love. And I got to be with him all day today. First thing we did? Break into the new toys that I found a couple days ago as I was cleaning the house. 
*Sidenote: I don't know about you, but when I play with toys that I used to play with as a littlie, it really brings back the memories, adding a bright spot to my day. 

Kru also helped us finish decorating our tree with ornaments, and was very talented at putting them all on one branch. I ended up having to move quite a few of them, but it was so fun to see his excitement! Once again, here's what out tree now looks like:

Kru also got to make gingerbread cookies with mom and I! We couldn't stop laughing throughout the whole thing, both because of how funny that little kid is and because today was just accident-prone! Seriously every ten minutes something would drop. The best part was that the two played on each other. When we would make a mess, Kru would do something hilarious in response, and then later Kru would also drop something, which would start the laughter again! A viscous cycle, but worth it for the smiles. :D

Mom
Even though she can't help me physically make the gingerbread house, my mom was with me to provide support, help me decipher the directions, and just talk! We ended up having a good conversation, in which I explained to her the fascinating concepts of both communication styles and love languages. Both of these subjects were something that I was a fanatic about last year, when I first discovered them. I was always thinking about them, trying to figure out what I was, what others were, and how this affected me. If you don't know much about either of these, LOOK INTO THEM. I learned so much about humanity in general, my friends, relationships, and most importantly myself. 

Anyway, while having this conversation with my mom, we got onto the topic of what Jesus was. If you knew my mom at all, this would be no surprise; she manages to bring him into any conversation. It's something I admire about her. But this brings me to the last highlight:

Crazy Thought
It's obvious that because Jesus Christ was perfect, he was an assertive communicator. But what about his love language(s)? What is the perfect combination for the 5 languages? At first, I thought that it would be an equal degree for each, but I can't imagine Christ caring the same about receiving gifts as he does quality time. And my mom also pointed out that he would serve, serve, serve. This got me thinking about quality touch. I wonder if this was very high in Christ? There's no way of knowing how he communicated with others, whether he would place his hand on their shoulder, or embrace them as a greeting. And if he did do these things, was it because he knew that's what THEY needed, or was it because HE needed it? 

Who knows? I'm aware I'll never find out in this life, but I like thinking about it all the same. I feel it helps me realize what's most important, both in general and to myself. 


A couple more pictures to add to today's record :)

Kru and mommy makin' gingerbread men
My gingerbread house in the works

No comments:

Post a Comment