Sunday, June 28, 2015

Sweet Sunday

Well, I sure didn't give a very good first impression today at church, because I was plain exhausted. I couldn't, for the life of me, keep my self awake. I was nodding off through all three hours, and the last hour I just gave up and stopped fighting the nod. I didn't really talk to many people either, but hopefully I will be able to make up for it in the coming weeks.

So yes, after morning church we just fell right asleep in our beds, waking up late for lunch. My mama's parents were visiting, so I got to meet them and talk for a while. Her mom was so fun, and just loved to talk about everything. I got to try a dish she made, called mole (I'm not sure if the actual dish is called mole, or if only the sauce is) which is meat with a sauce that has chocolate in it. It was really an interesting experience. I liked it, though I imagine it would have been better if I hadn't already been too full when I started eating it :P

We then headed al centro and checked out the things they have there every Sunday. It was similar to last night, with a bunch of vendors selling cool stuff, though there were a lot more places selling the traditional Yucatan clothing. And instead of performers, they had a band playing and an open dance on the street for anyone who wanted. There were a lot of people dancing by the end, including one little old guy who was the absolute cutest thing on the street. He just looked so HAPPY, like you imagine people looking when they dance, instead of the usual stone faces that we get now-a-days. I got a video of him so you could see what I mean.

We were able to check out the cathedral and go inside for a little bit. That was a very cool experience for me. I realized that while I appreciate the reason behind the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints not using the cross as a symbol, I also was able to see why the other Christian religions choose to. I know that Christ lives, and that His death was not the end and should not be the focus. But to look at him up on that cross, it made His sacrifice so much more real to me. It was easier to focus on what He did, and also WHY He did it. My experience in the cathedral was definitely surreal, and I was able to gain an appreciation for the feelings that other religious people claim to have. The Spirit can speak to you, no matter who you are.

To wind up the day, I'll just tell about these awesome stone chairs that face each other, which I love. Here's a picture of Rebecca, my roommate, and I enjoying our time in them :)
As for some interesting facts, I've got a few!
  • At 6 o'clock (not sure if it's every day, but for sure Sundays!) they take the Mexican flag down, and while doing so, the police have a procession that plays the drums and marches in place--only lifting the left heel, keeping the right foot on the ground the whole time. They also have a bugle playing and Instead of folding the flag up right after taking it down, six soldiers hold it open in the air and march out of the square. Their marching is with straight legs.
  • They have watermelon juice that tastes like it was literally just juiced out of a watermelon and put in a bottle. Drinks sold at vendors are sold in hand-filled bottles, instead of cups.
  • When they dance, the women do not move their hips much at all. That must just be other Hispanic countries which are known for the Spanish hips; it doesn't seem to be a thing here.

No comments:

Post a Comment