Thursday, June 25, 2015

Day Two--Classes Begin!

Today was our first day at the university! We woke up bright and early (5am!) to get ready and go to our 7am class. Our classes are really small, which is wonderful! And though the campus is small, it's beautiful!

 So I'm going to keep this short, and just say that the rest of our day was spent with some great new friends. With whom which we went on our own to find the temple, and ended up getting drenched in the rain and wandering around for hours trying to find out where we were and how to get home. It was pretty splendid, aside from the fact that my shoes were not fit for the weather at all. For anyone who comes here, do NOT wear flip flops in the rain. The sidewalk is so slippery if you've got no grip.

Anyway, here are a couple things I found out about Merida!
  • It is more common for universities in Mexico to be small, and specific to a certain major or career. 
  • An update from something I said yesterday: there are actually crosswalks and lights, but they are more in the centro de la ciudad. But yes, they do exist but aren't nearly as commonly used
  • And finally, if you lok at this picture, our university has this cool setup for recycling--each recycled waterbucket holds a different thing. Not sure if this is a Mexican thing or just an invention of our school, but I thought I would add it here just the same. :)
I've got to go to bed; I'm expecting a big day tomorrow! It's going to be a blast--the beach and las cenotes! This is the thing that I have been most excited for! I'm out, but hopefully tomorrow will have lots to tell. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment