Sunday, June 28, 2015

Saturday, June 27

Weeeeee today was great! We explored a Mexican Walmart, which was very interesting to see what was the same and what was different. For one thing, there is loud music in the Mexican one. Also, movies are way cheaper, with $3 or $4 movies in the usually $5 section :)

On our way home we got lost on the bus system again, taking twice or three times as long to get home because we missed our stop. But every time something goes wrong, we learn something new and helpful for other future endeavors.

After eating a DELICIOUS meal with pork, soup, brown rice, avocado, and beans, we (Rebecca, my roommate, and I) met back up with Conner to do our homework together, then Scott and Brandon joined us at 8 and we went to the Mexican party they have every Saturday. It was finally the atmosphere that I had been looking for! I didn't want to go to any more big stores that are just like walking into the US, I wanted to have a small, Mexican feel! And this party was on the street, with vendors selling different things and performers dancing on a stage. I got a couple clips of them, though it's not the best quality:


We tried some tamales, and even though they didn't look very appetizing (they were green) they weren't bad at all. I also got a sort of cheescake with oreos. But it wasn't the cheescake that they have in the US, it's more thick and less sweet. So the oreos made it perfect.

I definitely learned some things about the culture, though I don't remember that much. Let's see what I can pull out.
  • Waffle cones are a lot less sweet, but perfect for eating with sweet and fruity icecream .
  • They have discounts for the bus to those who are poor, but not to any who can actually afford it. The bus is already so cheap--only 7 pesos--so if all students were to get a student discount the buses probably wouldn't be able to run.
  • You can haggle prices with vendors on the streets, or anyone asking you to buy something.
Yeah, it's not much, but that's all I can get out of my tired little brain at the moment. Buenas dias!

No comments:

Post a Comment